Financial troubles can be the final straw in a troubled marriage. Last night on WBTV, we got help from an expert to come up with “Six Skills to Save Your Relationship in the Recession.”
Leslie Petruk with SteppingStones Counseling and Consulting of Charlotte said when couples argue about finances, these skills can lead to better communication.
1. Seek FIRST to understand, THEN to be understood.
2. Reacting out of Anger or Fear only perpetuates the conflict. Try to put your emotions aside.
3. Invite your partner to join you in providing support and a possible solution.
4. Communicate your expectations clearly and concisely.
5. Pay attention to how your mood and stress impacts your spouse and the rest of the family.
6. Focus on the Future
For more help, contact Leslie at 704-523-4881 or www.steppingstones.nc.com